Unfiltered at Meetup?

chris_lewis
I wanted to ask on the list, assuming Nathan is at liberty to divulge, to what extent Meetup is using Unfiltered. It's public that Unfiltered powers the streaming api, but Nathan's tweet yesterday caught my attention. From the link, it seems that Unfiltered is also serving, or at least playing some role in serving, the primary front-facing app.

So... I'm interested :-). Nathan are you able to elaborate at all on the what's and how's of that tweet?

-chris

Re: Unfiltered at Meetup?

luke.amdor
I'm pretty sure it's the side bar with the stream of RSVPs. Chrome's web inspector is telling me there's websocket to the streaming API.

Request URL:

Pretty cool stuff.

Luke

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM, chris_lewis [via Databinder] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wanted to ask on the list, assuming Nathan is at liberty to divulge, to what extent Meetup is using Unfiltered. It's public that Unfiltered powers the streaming api, but Nathan's tweet yesterday caught my attention. From the link, it seems that Unfiltered is also serving, or at least playing some role in serving, the primary front-facing app.

So... I'm interested :-). Nathan are you able to elaborate at all on the what's and how's of that tweet?

-chris

http://databinder.3617998.n2.nabble.com/Unfiltered-at-Meetup-tp6610693p6610693.html
To start a new topic under Unfiltered, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Unfiltered, click here.

Re: Unfiltered at Meetup?

chris_lewis
Nice catch! I didn't notice that. I'd be interested to hear some metrics after a few days, but so far seems to be a testament to Unfiltered+netty as a solid platform for async http.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

I'm pretty sure it's the side bar with the stream of RSVPs. Chrome's web
inspector is telling me there's websocket to the streaming API.

Request URL:
ws://stream.meetup.com/2/rsvps

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to ask on the list, assuming Nathan is at liberty to divulge, to
> what extent Meetup is using Unfiltered. It's public that Unfiltered powers
> the streaming api, but Nathan's tweet<http://twitter.com/#!/n8han/status/94160853695340545> yesterday
> caught my attention. From the link, it seems that Unfiltered is also
> serving, or at least playing some role in serving, the primary front-facing
> app.
>
> So... I'm interested :-). Nathan are you able to elaborate at all on the
> what's and how's of that tweet?
>
> -chris

http://databinder.3617998.n2.nabble.com/Unfiltered-at-Meetup-tp6610693p6610723.html
To start a new topic under Unfiltered, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Unfiltered, visit

Re: Unfiltered at Meetup?

I can't promise metrics yet, but we will get a post up about the front end of http://www.meetup.com/tour/ on the engineering blog soon.

There's the websocket interface that you've found, but if you look at the same page in firefox or anything other than Chrome or Safari you'll see it's doing long-polling instead. We have one post on websockets [1] and one before that on the original http chunked stream [2].

I haven't written about how the long polling backend works yet; I did present it to ny-scala last month. It seemed like people weren't that into it because I used too many synchronized blocks and not enough actors (just kidding... Dag) so I'm actually going to have a go at doing it with fancier concurrency structures, and seeing if it I can break that.

I was more comfortable avoiding the possible overhead or bugs of any concurrency library for the initial version, but it's true that the complexity of doing it by hand sucks. We can't really build much more on top of it before I can't read my own code. So, more to come on that front I hope.

Nathan

[1]: http://making.meetup.com/post/3204143339/socket-to-me
[2]: http://making.meetup.com/post/2929945070/real-life-meetups-deserve-real-time-apis

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to ask on the list, assuming Nathan is at liberty to divulge, to
> what extent Meetup is using Unfiltered. It's public that Unfiltered powers
> the streaming api, but Nathan's tweet< you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

To start a new topic under Unfiltered, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Unfiltered, click here.

I'm pretty sure it's the side bar with the stream of RSVPs. Chrome's web
inspector is telling me there's websocket to the streaming API.

Request URL:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="ws://stream.meetup.com/2/rsvps">ws://stream.meetup.com/2/rsvps

http://databinder.3617998.n2.nabble.com/Unfiltered-at-Meetup-tp6610693p6610821.html
To start a new topic under Unfiltered, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Unfiltered, click here.

Re: Unfiltered at Meetup?

The engineering blog post that I mentioned, on the front-end of this, is up:
http://making.meetup.com/post/8055351786/see-whats-happening-on-meetup

Nathan