Quantcast

Databinder Overview, Introduction, General Information

Databinder Overview, Introduction, General Information

hrenushnik
Hi, Brothers!

   I would like to find some sort of overview or introductory
material about databinder for wicket, but, suprisingly,
can not!

   http://databinder.net/wicket/ links only to
https://github.com/n8han/Databinder-for-Wicket/
which seems to be source distribution (right?) and
points back to http://databinder.net/ for documentation
and examples, but I can not find anything!

   Please, would you point me - a complete novice -
to the right place for starting material?

Re: Databinder Overview, Introduction, General Information

jbrookover
http://www.databinder.net used to have a lot more information for the Wicket module, but it seems to be going through some transitions on the website.  This package is wonderful, but you've stumbled on it's major flaws:  It hasn't been updated in a bit and its documentation is sparse.  Several people, including myself, have tried to find time to update it to the latest version of Wicket, but clearly that hasn't happened.

Perhaps this is because it worked so well from the beginning?  Here are some helpful links/thoughts:

http://databinder.net/javadoc/index.html - Direct link to the Javadoc, which still exists

Assuming you are using Hibernate, your most common classes will be:

HibernateObjectModel
HibernateListModel

In order to make some really wonderful queries using those models, you can use

QueryBuilder
CriteriaBuilder

There are some excellent user authentication features as well (AuthDataApplication, RSAPasswordTextField) and some components for easily editing your datastore objects (e.g. DataForm), but that should get you started.

In the end, Databinder is a relatively light bridge between Wicket and a datastore implementation.  HibernateObjectModel and DataForm alone save me hours of work.

Good luck!

Jake

Re: Databinder Overview, Introduction, General Information

salvatore
hi
i am a new for wicket and databinder, how can i start to make a simple form examples with databinder and wicket ??, i use netbeans 7.0 with glassfish 3.x, i have downloaded the source code from github but i haven't undestand how use it.
Can you help me please ???

I have see the examples with wicket and they are very simple to use but i don't undestand the data-driven method with databinder

Re: Databinder Overview, Introduction, General Information

jbrookover
salvatore wrote
hi
i am a new for wicket and databinder, how can i start to make a simple form examples with databinder and wicket ??, i use netbeans 7.0 with glassfish 3.x, i have downloaded the source code from github but i haven't undestand how use it.
Can you help me please ???

I have see the examples with wicket and they are very simple to use but i don't undestand the data-driven method with databinder
The basic form element for Databinder is 'DataForm' - this is essentially like a standard wicket Form except that it automatically persists unsaved objects and flushes the HibernateSession when the form is submitted.  It requires a HibernateObjectModel which is Databinder's nifty bridge between wicket's IModel and Hibernate.

If you are new to wicket, you may want to try doing things without Databinder at first.  Get your feet wet with Form's onSubmit() method and using Hibernate to save your objects.  As soon as you get annoyed with all the Hibernate code, then bring in Databinder.

Jake

Re: Databinder Overview, Introduction, General Information

salvatore
Thank's jbrookover
but my problem is to understand id databinder-for-wicket is or isnot a data-driven system
for create dinamically webform??

do you help me for this problem?,
exist with wicket a library/class or other for create dinamically a webform
reading a repository with information for any page etc.???

bye
salvatore

Re: Databinder Overview, Introduction, General Information

jbrookover
salvatore wrote
but my problem is to understand id databinder-for-wicket is or isnot a data-driven system
for create dinamically webform??

do you help me for this problem?,
exist with wicket a library/class or other for create dinamically a webform
reading a repository with information for any page etc.???
I'm having some trouble understanding your post.  Basically, Databinder is a very thin layer between Wicket and Hibernate (or some other persistence framework, but I use it for Hibernate).  Can it be used to create dynamic web forms from a data-driven system?  Yes, but that capability lies in Wicket/Hibernate.  Databinder is not necessary to do what you wish; but it might make it easier.

Jake