AWS S3 Dispatch module

avalade
Hi folks -
I started some very basic S3 Handlers in a fork of Dispatch at:

http://github.com/avalade/Databinder-Dispatch

It can currently authenticate, create buckets, create files, retrieve files, delete files, and delete buckets.  The tests do require you to provide your awsAccessKey and awsSecretAccessKey as environment variables.

If you need to get down with some S3 action and Jets3t makes your eyeballs bleed, please give this a shot and let me know if you find any problems.

Thanks,
- A

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

Hey this is cool, I just might pull it into the main distribution. Although, I will need to be able to run tests on it. Is there some minimal s3 account I can sign up for that doesn't require a subscription?

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

avalade
None of the AWS services require a subscription per se.  You do have to sign up for the service and accept their T&Cs, provide your billing information and then pay for any of the usage of that account.  The good news is that the tests that I've written don't even tally up to a single cent worth of use, but even so, it does put a damper on building tests when you actually do have to pay for them.

One way around this, which I haven't looked into much, is you could use a Eucalyptus Walrus installation to test against since it's interface is compatible with Amazon S3:

http://open.eucalyptus.com/wiki/EucalyptusStorage_v1.4

- A

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

I added a bug for this:
http://github.com/n8han/Databinder-Dispatch/issues/issue/1

The other option is for you to publish this module separately from Dispatch. I'm okay with integrating though if you will be keeping an eye on it and can run the tests from time to time.

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

avalade
I'd love for this to be part of the main branch as I think it would get more use that way.  And I have no issues with keeping an eye on it, running tests and fixing issues/adding features, as it's still pretty bare bones right now.

- A

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

Cool, I've merged it in. And thanks for checking compilation against 2.7.7!

Nathan

On 9/28/10 9:24 PM, avalade [via Databinder] wrote:
I'd love for this to be part of the main branch as I think it would get more use that way.  And I have no issues with keeping an eye on it, running tests and fixing issues/adding features, as it's still pretty bare bones right now.

- A

View message @ http://databinder.3617998.n2.nabble.com/AWS-S3-Dispatch-module-tp5553326p5581900.html
To start a new topic under Databinder, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Databinder, click here.

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

pr1001
Great, I'm looking forward to this. I've used the official Java Amazon AWS library but I'd much prefer to use Dispatch. Thanks!

Peter

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

Okay, I will try to do a 0.7.7 release soon.

avalade, I just added a stub to the release notes (notes/0.7.7.markdown). If you want to write in a description I'll merge it in. Your module is the only significant change since 0.7.6.

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

avalade
I just submitted a pull request with some docs about the aws-s3 module in the 0.7.7.markdown file.  Sorry about the delay.  I didn't get the message until after the scotch bottle had opened for the weekend.  And before you say "At 10AM?!", I'm on the other side of the world where it was 10pm, so it is quite socially acceptable for the scotch to be pouring at that point.

- Aaron

Re: AWS S3 Dispatch module

http://implicit.ly/dispatch-077

I moved most of the module description into a readme.

Nathan