Quantcast

[ANN] http://lssn.me

chris_lewis
Hi list,

I deployed http://lssn.me (https://github.com/chrislewis/lssn.me), a minimal URL shortener, to GAE yesterday. lssn.me an Unfiltered app, and I wanted to share this on the list for anyone outside my twittershpere.

Why another shortener? Money, obviously!

It is a working app, but I wrote it to exercise highchair and to potentially serve as a reference point for some basic best practices in both Unfiltered and highchair (you'll see block-based validation handling there, as I've seen that recur un my UF apps).

Thanks again for all the great work!

PS I also put together a g8 template for Unfiltered on GAE: https://github.com/chrislewis/unfiltered-gae.g8

-chris

Re: [ANN] http://lssn.me

soft_props
Awesome! A while back I made a gae template too [1]. Just catching up on email before I pass out. I'll check out yours later. This [2] is pretty fancy. I love learning about these algorithms. I tried something like that before for generating short urls for pastebin entries [3] (thats kind of dated now). Highchair seems like a cool idea, and name :), I had to write some custom scala wrappers around da actually have a little gae project planned that Ill probably use highchair in. Fantastic work!

[1]: https://github.com/softprops/unfiltered-gae.g8
[2]: https://github.com/chrislewis/lssn.me/blob/master/src/main/scala/Sexagesimal.scala
[3]: https://github.com/softprops/sbin/blob/master/src/main/scala/Sbin.scala#L29-36

Re: [ANN] http://lssn.me

chris_lewis
Sweet!

1 - Dang, I missed that! We should combine them. I want to add highchair once I push artifacts to a public repo, but that might better fit a different template.

2 - That's Tantek's algo, I just ported it (it's a basic num sys conversion though).

I do hope you use highchair - more use == better library. I know of a few things that need tweaking (ie replace reflective ctor resolution with a statically checkable function), nevermind additional features.